One of the best friends a preacher or pastor can ever have is his library. Every good resource is a gift from God and a gift to those hearing the preacher proclaim His Word. But where can a preacher start at? Or where can one begin who wants to be a blessing to a teacher of God’s Word? There are so many books to choose from and more than at any other time in history. Below is a short list of books that you should find very helpful. This list can be beneficial to pastors, preachers, teachers, and anyone wanting to grow in his understanding of the Bible. The list is not necessarily in any order, though beginning with a Study Bible is normally agreed upon as a good starting place, I think. And as always, just because a book is recommended doesn’t mean I always agree with everything in it.
1. The MacArthur Study Bible (Thomas Nelson)
2. The ESV Study Bible (Crossway)
3. Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, by W.E. Vine, Merrill F. Unger, and William White Jr. (Thomas Nelson)
4. Nine Marks of a Healthy Church, by Mark Dever (Crossway)
5. The Quest for Truth, by F. Leroy Forlines (Randall House)
6. Matthew Henry’s Commentary
7. The Randall House Bible Commentary (Randall House; covers all the New Testament)
8. Unger’s Concise Bible Dictionary, by Merrill F. Unger and W. Murray Severance (Baker; a dear sister gave me this book, and also Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary and Matthew Henry’s Commentary mentioned earlier in the first few years of my preaching. Also, a brother gave me one of the Randall House commentaries. Dear friends make a difference)
9. The New Greek-English Interlinear New Testament (Tyndale)
10. The Hebrew-English Interlinear ESV Old Testament (Crossway)
Thanks for the List. Blessed by your Preaching!
Thank you for the encouragement.
Thanks for sharing Clint. I am blessed to have several you listed that were my father’s, and contain many of his notes made as he read. Prayers for you and your family.
That is great to have something like that from your dad. I hope you all are doing well. Thank you for your prayers and prayers for you all.